Wednesday, October 05, 2011

A performance with a touch of menace

This week's reading at the Komedia went well. "You had the audience in the palm of your hand," one of the organisers said. That was reassuring, as I couldn't tell how the audience was responding. The stage lighting was blinding; once up there I couldn't see anything. Look at the stripe of intense light across my nose in the photo: I look like Adam Ant, or Charlie Sheen in Apocalypse Now. I had a stinking cold, too, as you can tell from the red eyes. There's a bit of menace to this story, so maybe the fact I looked rather strange added to the effect.

I have photos of this reading because there were friends of mine in the audience. That was a first. It isn't because my friends don't want to come and see me do my thing. It's because I've never invited them. That might seem like an odd strategy. Secretive, even. But I prefer reading to a room of people I don't know, or who know me but only as a writer.

Maybe that will change now. My friends came along because they were invited – not by me, but by a mutual writing friend who was also reading. They really enjoyed themselves, and said I was excellent. So they are welcome back. I like to think I'd reach the same conclusion if they thought my story was rubbish.

2 comments:

Elaine Winter said...

Well, as Kurtz said
''The horror... the horror... ''
You do look menacing for sure but great that it went well and you are getting used to having people you know there - its going to happen more and more.

Neil said...

Thanks for the comment. Only just noticed it needed approving. Silly me.